2009-01-24

Recommended Software: Regshot

We all know how messy the Window's Registry is. It could cause your system to slow down, crash or even stop booting up completely.

Regshot is a light-weight, open-source utility that can take snapshots of the registry and compare it with another clean snapshot taken at an earlier stage, when the system was known to have been working properly.

This could come in handy while investigating issues that come up after the installation of a new software, or just to know what happens behind the scenes. From a security perspective, it is a handy tool to keep an eye on your registry and be forewarned in case a virus or a trojan messes up your machine.

Grab your free, portable copy at: http://sourceforge.net/projects/regshot/

3 comments:

  1. Hey Kunal,

    Regshot is a very useful tool for people like me who keep installing some thing or the other and land up messing up with the System.

    Few set of Questions for U:
    1. In what format is the change report of the previous registry and currently registry generated?

    2. Can I get to know if a change has taken place for a specific directory instead of the entire system?

    3. Do we have a setup of Regshot for Linux and Max and Windows 7?

    Finally my last question:
    4. What if my system crashes after installing Regshot ;)

    Just a suggestion:- why don’t you upload a video or snapshot of working with the software you suggest, so that it gets very easy for people to work with them with out reading help :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi all,

    I am working for a software integrator company. My projects includes working on Java and Ruby on Rails and Ajax. I think Web Services is really cool. We also recently have to now work on REST and they are talking about mashups and Struts. Can anyone tell me if there are some good training or conferences so that me and my team members can get to speed with these technologies. Learning from books is not my cup of tea, even not when I was doing engineering ;)

    All the help that group members can provide in this regard is much appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Vaibhavi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Bhavya,

    Good suggestion, will see if I can get myself to prepare a video (or atleast a slide-show).

    To answer your final question (What if my system crashes after installing Regshot). The best part of this s/w is that it is a portable application. Meaning no installation is required, so all the files are contained in a single folder. So, it doesn't mess up your system. :)

    ReplyDelete